Medical Laboratory Science
Medical Laboratory Science Major
Degree Type: B.S.
Minimum Degree Credits to Graduate: 120
University Degree Requirements
- Satisfactory completion of all requirements of the curriculum in which one is enrolled.
- Earn a minimum total of 120 credits in approved coursework. Some academic programs exceed this minimum.
- Satisfactory completion of the general education requirements as specified by the university.
- A minimum institutional GPA of 2.00 based on work taken at NDSU.
- At least 36 credits presented for graduation must be in courses numbered 300 or higher.
- Transfer Students: Must earn a minimum of 60 credits from a baccalaureate-degree granting or professional institution.
- Of these 60, at least 36 must be NDSU resident credits as defined in #7.
- Within the 36 resident credits, a minimum of 15 must be in courses numbered 300 or higher and 15 credits in the major field of study.
- At least 36 credits must be NDSU resident credits. Resident credits include credits registered and paid for at NDSU.
For complete information, please refer to the Degree and Graduation Requirements section of this Bulletin.
University General Education Requirements
|College Composition I|
|College Composition II|
|Fundamentals of Public Speaking|
Upper Division Writing †
|Quantitative Reasoning (R) †||3|
|Science and Technology (S) †||10|
|Humanities and Fine Arts (A) †||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences (B) †||6|
|Wellness (W) †||2|
|Cultural Diversity (D) *†|
|Global Perspectives (G) *†|
May be satisfied by completing courses in another General Education category.
General education courses may be used to satisfy requirements for both general education and the major, minor, and program emphases, where applicable. Students should carefully review major requirements to determine if specific courses can also satisfy these general education categories.
- A list of university approved general education courses and administrative policies are available here.
|Medical Laboratory Science Major Requirements|
|CHP 190||Critical Thinking and Academic Success||2|
|MLS 200||Introduction to Medical Laboratory Science||1|
|MLS 496||Field Exp/Internship||30|
Professional education (internship) within an accredited affiliated school of medical laboratory science includes the capstone experience.
|Related Courses Required:|
|Foundations of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I|
and Foundations of Biochemistry I Laboratory
|General Biology I|
and General Biology I Laboratory
|BIOL 151||General Biology II||3|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I|
and Human Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory (May satisfy a general education category S)
and Genetics Laboratory
|General Chemistry I|
and General Chemistry I Laboratory (May satisfy a general education category S)
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II|
and Human Anatomy and Physiology II Laboratory
|General Chemistry II|
and General Chemistry II Laboratory
|CSCI 114||Computer Applications (May satisfy a general education category S)||3|
|or TL 116||Business Software Applications|
|MATH 103||College Algebra (or higher level; excluding MATH 104)||3|
and General Microbiology Lab
|MICR 463||Clinical Parasitology||2|
and Pathogenic Microbiology Laboratory
|MICR 470||Basic Immunology||3|
|MICR 471||Immunology and Serology Laboratory||2|
|STAT 330||Introductory Statistics (May satisfy a general education category R)||3|
|Select one group of the following:||6-7|
|Organic Chemistry I|
and Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
|Organic Chemistry II|
|Survey of Organic Chemistry|
|Foundations of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II|
Degree Requirements and Notes
- All required courses must be completed with a grade of 'C' or above. All students must maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or above for each semester in the College. A student who fails to meet this standard for two successive or three non-successive semesters may be terminated from enrollment in the College.
- Completion of the prerequisites does not guarantee a student internship. Selection of interns is competitive. Please consult your MLS advisor for more information.