Major: Sport Management
Degree Type: B.S.
Minimum Degree Credits to Graduate: 120
University Degree Requirements
- Satisfactory completion of all requirements of the curriculum in which one is enrolled.
- Earn a minimum total of 120 credits in approved coursework. Some academic programs exceed this minimum.
- Satisfactory completion of the general education requirements as specified by the university.
- A minimum institutional GPA of 2.00 based on work taken at NDSU.
- At least 36 credits presented for graduation must be in courses number 300 or higher.
- Transfer Students: Must earn a minimum of 60 credits from a baccalaureate-degree granting or professional institituion.
- Of these 60, at least 36 must be NDSU residence credits as defined in #7.
- Within the 36 resident credits, a minimum of 15 must be in courses numbered 300 or higher and 15 credits in the major field of study.
- At least 36 credits must be NDSU resident credits. Residence credits include credits registered and paid for at NDSU.
For complete information, please refer to the Degree and Graduation Requirements section of this Bulletin.
University General Education Requirements
|College Composition I|
|College Composition II|
|Fundamentals of Public Speaking|
Upper Division Writing †
|Quantitative Reasoning (R) †||3|
|Science and Technology (S) †||10|
|Humanities and Fine Arts (A) †||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences (B) †||6|
|Wellness (W) †||2|
|Cultural Diversity (D) *†|
|Global Perspectives (G) *†|
May be satisfied by completing courses in another General Education category.
General education courses may be used to satisfy requirements for both general education and the major, minor, and program emphases, where applicable. Students should carefully review major requirements to determine if specific courses can also satisfy these general education categories.
- A list of university approved general education courses and administrative policies are available here.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher is required for admission to the Sport Management program.
- An NDSU GPA of 2.75 or higher must be maintained and the student must earn a grade of "C" or better in the HNES major requirements courses to retain status in the professional program.
|Sport Management Core Requirements|
|COMM 112||Understanding Media and Social Change (May satisfy general education category B)||3|
|COMM 200||Introduction to Media Writing||3|
|HNES 190||Introduction to Sport Management *||3|
|HNES 224||Sport and Event Management **||3|
|HNES 226||Socio-Cultural Dimension in Sport **||3|
|HNES 304||Sport Promotion and Public Relations **||3|
|HNES 426||Sport Administration **||3|
|HNES 431||Governance, Policy, Legal Liability and Ethics in Sport **||3|
|HNES 436||Managing Sport Facilities **||3|
|HNES 485||Sport Management Internship (students need to have completed HNES 190, 324, 226 and 304 to be eligible for HNES 485) **||12|
|Required Minor - Business Administration||24|
|Minor application form is required to be completed with the College of Business. The business minor requires a 2.50 GPA in minor courses which cannot be taken pass/fail.|
|Select one of the following options||9|
Option 3 - Electives - student may take 9 credits of elective courses
Requires a grade of ‘B’ or better.
Requires a grade of C or higher
Degree Requirements and Notes
- Course taken Pass/Fail will not be used to satisfy any requirements other than total credits.
- Students who have specific career goals in mind may elect to complete additional minor(s) by choosing focused electives. Examples of other minors that compliment Sport Management include: Accounting, Community Development, Hospitality & Tourism Management, Human Development and Family Science, Journalism, Public Relations & Advertising, and Management Communication.