Major: History Education
Degree Type: B.A. or B.S.
Required Degree Credits to Graduate: 120
University Degree Requirements
- Satisfactory completion of all requirements of the curriculum in which one is enrolled.
- Earn a minimum total of 120 credits in approved coursework. Some academic programs exceed this minimum.
- Satisfactory completion of the general education requirements as specific by the university.
- A minimum institutional GPA of 2.00 based on work taken at NDSU.
- At least 36 credits presented for graduation must be in courses number 300 or higher.
- Transfer Students: Must earn a minimum of 60 credits from a baccalaureate-degree granting or professional institituion.
- Of these 60, at least 36 must be NDSU residence credits as defined in #7.
- Within the 36 resident credits, a minimum of 15 must be in courses numbered 300 or higher and 15 credits in the major field of study.
- At least 36 credits must be NDSU resident credits. Residence credits include credits registered and paid for at NDSU.
For complete information, please refer to the Degree and Graduation Requirements section of this Bulletin.
University General Education Requirements
|College Composition I|
|College Composition II|
|Fundamentals of Public Speaking|
Upper Division Writing †
|Quantitative Reasoning (R) †||3|
|Science and Technology (S) †||10|
|Humanities and Fine Arts (A) †||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences (B) †||6|
|Wellness (W) †||2|
|Cultural Diversity (D) *†|
|Global Perspectives (G) *†|
May be satisfied by completing courses in another General Education category.
General education courses may be used to satisfy requirements for both general education and the major, minor, and program emphases, where applicable. Students should carefully review major requirements to determine if specific courses can also satisfy these general education categories.
- A list of university approved general education courses and administrative policies are available here.
|History 100-200 Level Courses||9|
|History 300-400 Level Courses||9|
|HIST 390||Historical Research and Writing (May satisfy general education category C)||3|
|HIST 489||Senior Seminar (Capstone)||3|
|Distribution Requirement: Select 6 credits from each of the 3 categories.||18|
North American History (6 cr):
|American Civil War and Reconstruction|
|The Gilded Age and Progressive America|
|U.S. History 1917-1960|
|U.S. History 1917-Present II|
|The North American Plains|
|American Frontier to 1850|
|American West Since 1850|
European History (6 cr):
|History of Christianity|
|Renaissance And Reformation|
|The Eighteenth Century|
|Europe Since 1914|
|Germany since 1750|
|History Of Russia II|
Widening Horizons (6 cr):
|Australia & New Zealand|
|The Ottoman Empire|
|Modern Latin America I|
|Modern Latin America II|
|Slavery in the Atlantic World|
|History of Modern China from 1600|
|History of Japan|
|Vietnam: 125 Years of Conflict|
|Cultures and Civilizations of the Pre-modern World|
|Cultural Exchange and the Making of the Modern World|
Of these nine credits, at least one course in political science, geography, economics, sociology, anthropology or psychology is required beyond the introductory level.
|Professional Education Requirements|
|EDUC 321||Introduction to Teaching||3|
|EDUC 322||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDUC 451||Instructional Planning, Methods and Assessment||3|
|EDUC 481||Classroom Practice Methods of Teaching I: (Soc Sci)||3|
|EDUC 485||Student Teaching Seminar||1|
|EDUC 486||Classroom Management for Diverse Learners||3|
|EDUC 487||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 488||Applied Student Teaching||3|
|EDUC 489||Teaching Students of Diverse Backgrounds||3|
Degree Requirements and Notes
- A GPA of 2.75 or better in the teaching specialty is required for placement in student teaching and exit from the program.
- A grade of ‘C’ or better is required in all Professional Education Requirement courses.
- A GPA of 2.75 or better in professional education as well as passing the appropriate Praxis II exam are required to exit the program.
- Courses taken Pass/Fail will not be used to satisfy any requirements other than total credits.