Teaching Specialty - Comprehensive Science
Major: Comprehensive Science Education
Degree Type: B.A. or B.S.
Required Degree Credits to Graduate: 136
General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degree
- A list of approved general education courses is available here .
- General education courses may be used to satisfy requirements for both general education and the major, minor, and program emphases, where applicable. Students should carefully review the major, minor, and program emphases requirements for minimum grade restrictions, should they apply.
|College Composition I|
|College Composition II|
|Fundamentals of Public Speaking|
Upper Division Writing †
|Quantitative Reasoning (R) †||3|
|Science and Technology (S) †||10|
|Humanities and Fine Arts (A) †||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences (B) †||6|
|Wellness (W) †||2|
|Cultural Diversity (D) *†|
|Global Perspectives (G) *†|
May be satisfied by completing courses in another General Education category.
May be satisfied with courses required in the major. Review major requirements to determine if a specific upper division writing course is required.
|Comprehensive Science Education Requirements|
|ENGL 324||Writing in the Sciences (May satisfy general education category C)||3|
|STAT 330||Introductory Statistics (May satisfy general education category R)||3|
|Teaching Specialty Requirements|
|BIOC 260||Elements of Biochemistry||4|
and Environmental Science Laboratory
|General Biology I|
and General Biology I Laboratory
|General Biology II|
and General Biology II Laboratory
|BOT 372||Structure and Diversity of Plants and Fungi||4|
|General Chemistry I|
and General Chemistry I Laboratory
|General Chemistry II|
and General Chemistry II Laboratory
|Organic Chemistry I|
and Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
|Organic Chemistry II|
and Organic Chemistry II Laboratory
|Computer Science Elective||Elective||2|
|MATH 165||Calculus I||4|
|MATH 166||Calculus II||4|
|PHYS 110||Introductory Astronomy||3|
|University Physics I|
and University Physics I Laboratory
|University Physics II|
and University Physics II Laboratory
and Physical Geology Lab (May satisfy general education category G)
|The Earth Through Time|
and The Earth Through Time Lab
|Biology/Botany/Zoology Elective||300-400 Level||6|
|Professional Education Requirements|
|EDUC 321||Introduction to Teaching||3|
|EDUC 322||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDUC 451||Instructional Planning, Methods and Assessment||3|
|EDUC 481||Classroom Practice Methods of Teaching I: (Science)||3|
|EDUC 485||Student Teaching Seminar||1|
|EDUC 486||Classroom Management for Diverse Learners||3|
|EDUC 487||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 488||Applied Student Teaching||3|
|EDUC 489||Teaching Students of Diverse Backgrounds||3|
Degree Requirements and Notes
- Courses taken P/F may not be used to satisfy any requirements.
- GPA of 2.75 or better in the teaching specialty is required for placement in student teaching and exit from the program.
- A grade of ‘C’ or better is required in all Professional Education Requirement courses.
- A GPA of 2.75 or better in professional education as well as passing the appropriate Praxis II exam are required to exit the program.
- See School of Education for admission requirements.