Teaching Specialty - Mathematics
Major: Mathematics Education
Degree Type: B.A. or B.S.
Required Degree Credits to Graduate: 120
General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degree
- A list of approved general education courses is available here .
- General education courses may be used to satisfy requirements for both general education and the major, minor, and program emphases, where applicable. Students should carefully review the major, minor, and program emphases requirements for minimum grade restrictions, should they apply.
|College Composition I|
|College Composition II|
|Fundamentals of Public Speaking|
Upper Division Writing †
|Quantitative Reasoning (R) †||3|
|Science and Technology (S) †||10|
|Humanities and Fine Arts (A) †||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences (B) †||6|
|Wellness (W) †||2|
|Cultural Diversity (D) *†|
|Global Perspectives (G) *†|
May be satisfied by completing courses in another General Education category.
May be satisfied with courses required in the major. Review major requirements to determine if a specific upper division writing course is required.
A grade of ‘C’ or better is required in all Teaching Specialty requirement courses and the Professional Education requirement courses.
|Teaching Specialty Requirements|
|CSCI 160||Computer Science I||4|
|MATH 165||Calculus I (May satisfy general education category R)||4|
|MATH 166||Calculus II||4|
|MATH 265||Calculus III||4|
|MATH 270||Introduction to Abstract Mathematics||3|
|MATH 329||Intermediate Linear Algebra||3|
|MATH 346||Metric Space Topology||3|
|MATH 374||Special Problems In Mathematics||1|
|MATH 420||Abstract Algebra I||3|
|MATH 440||Axiomatic Geometry||3|
|MATH 450||Real Analysis I||3|
|MATH 478||History of Mathematics||3|
|Select one 300-400 level MATH prefix course approved by the department. MATH 266 may be used as one of these electives.||3|
|Professional Education Requirements|
|EDUC 321||Introduction to Teaching||3|
|EDUC 322||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDUC 451||Instructional Planning, Methods and Assessment||3|
|EDUC 481||Classroom Practice Methods of Teaching I: (Math)||3|
|EDUC 485||Student Teaching Seminar||1|
|EDUC 486||Classroom Management for Diverse Learners||3|
|EDUC 487||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 488||Applied Student Teaching||3|
|EDUC 489||Teaching Students of Diverse Backgrounds||3|
Degree Requirements and Notes
- A GPA of 2.75 or better in the teaching specialty is required for placement in student teaching and exit from the program.
- A GPA of 2.75 or better in professional education as well as passing the appropriate Praxis II exam are required to exit the program.
- Courses taken Pass/Fail will not be used to satisfy any requirements other than total credits.
- Students pursuing both Mathematics Education and Mathematics majors are encouraged to take STAT 467/468 in place of STAT 367/368, and choose MATH 421 and 453 or 454 as part of their required Math credits.
- See School of Education for admission requirements.