Teaching Specialty - Earth Science
Major: Earth Science Education
Degree Type: B.A. or B.S.
Required Degree Credits to Graduate: 139
General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degree
- A list of approved general education courses is available here .
- General education courses may be used to satisfy requirements for both general education and the major, minor, and program emphases, where applicable. Students should carefully review the major, minor, and program emphases requirements for minimum grade restrictions, should they apply.
|College Composition I|
|College Composition II|
|Fundamentals of Public Speaking|
Upper Division Writing †
|Quantitative Reasoning (R) †||3|
|Science and Technology (S) †||10|
|Humanities and Fine Arts (A) †||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences (B) †||6|
|Wellness (W) †||2|
|Cultural Diversity (D) *†|
|Global Perspectives (G) *†|
May be satisfied by completing courses in another General Education category.
May be satisfied with courses required in the major. Review major requirements to determine if a specific upper division writing course is required.
|Earth Science Education Requirements|
|ENGL 324||Writing in the Sciences (May satisfy general education category C)||3|
and Physical Geology Lab (May satisfy general education category G)
|The Earth Through Time|
and The Earth Through Time Lab
|MATH 165||Calculus I (May satisfy general education category R)||4|
|STAT 330||Introductory Statistics||3|
|Teaching Specialty Requirements|
and Environmental Science Laboratory
|General Biology I|
and General Biology I Laboratory
|General Biology II|
and General Biology II Laboratory
|Biological Sciences Elective||Elective||3|
|General Chemistry I|
and General Chemistry I Laboratory
|General Chemistry II|
and General Chemistry II Laboratory
& GEOL 350
|Paleontology Field Course|
and Invertebrate Paleontology
& GEOL 421
and Mineralogy Laboratory
|PHYS 110||Introductory Astronomy||3|
|College Physics I|
and College Physics I Laboratory
|College Physics II|
and College Physics II Laboratory
|SOIL 217||Introduction to Meteorology & Climatology||3|
|CSCI 122||Visual BASIC||3|
|Professional Education Requirements|
|EDUC 321||Introduction to Teaching||3|
|EDUC 322||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDUC 451||Instructional Planning, Methods and Assessment||3|
|EDUC 481||Classroom Practice Methods of Teaching I: (Science)||3|
|EDUC 485||Student Teaching Seminar||1|
|EDUC 486||Classroom Management for Diverse Learners||3|
|EDUC 487||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 488||Applied Student Teaching||3|
|EDUC 489||Teaching Students of Diverse Backgrounds||3|
Degree Requirements and Notes
- Courses taken P/F may not be used to satisfy any requirements.
- GPA of 2.75 or better in the teaching specialty is required for placement in student teaching and exit from the program.
- A grade of ‘C’ or better is required in all Professional Education Requirement courses.
- A GPA of 2.75 or better in professional education as well as passing the appropriate Praxis II exam are required to exit the program.
- See School of Education for admission requirements.