General Agriculture Major
Degree Type: B.S.
Minimum Degree Credits to Graduate: 128
University Degree Requirements
- Satisfactory completion of all requirements of the curriculum in which one is enrolled.
- Earn a minimum total of 120 credits in approved coursework. Some academic programs exceed this minimum.
- Satisfactory completion of the general education requirements as specified by the university.
- A minimum institutional GPA of 2.00 based on work taken at NDSU.
- At least 36 credits presented for graduation must be in courses numbered 300 or higher.
- Transfer Students: Must earn a minimum of 60 credits from a baccalaureate-degree granting or professional institution.
- Of these 60, at least 36 must be NDSU resident credits as defined in #7.
- Within the 36 resident credits, a minimum of 15 must be in courses numbered 300 or higher and 15 credits in the major field of study.
- At least 36 credits must be NDSU resident credits. Resident credits include credits registered and paid for at NDSU.
For complete information, please refer to the Degree and Graduation Requirements section of this Bulletin.
University General Education Requirements
|College Composition I|
|College Composition II|
|Fundamentals of Public Speaking|
Upper Division Writing †
|Quantitative Reasoning (R) †||3|
|Science and Technology (S) †||10|
|Humanities and Fine Arts (A) †||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences (B) †||6|
|Wellness (W) †||2|
|Cultural Diversity (D) *†|
|Global Perspectives (G) *†|
May be satisfied by completing courses in another General Education category.
General education courses may be used to satisfy requirements for both general education and the major, minor, and program emphases, where applicable. Students should carefully review major requirements to determine if specific courses can also satisfy these general education categories.
- A list of university approved general education courses and administrative policies are available here.
|Major Requirements for General Agriculture|
|AGRI 189||Skills For Academic Success (or other Freshman Experience class in a CAFSNR department) 3||1|
|CSCI 114||Computer Applications (May satisfy a general education category S)||3|
|or TL 116||Business Software Applications|
|MATH 103||College Algebra (or higher level mathematics)||3|
|PLSC 315||Genetics (May satisfy a general education category S)||3|
|STAT 330||Introductory Statistics (May satisfy a general education category R)||3|
|Select one of the following||(May satisfy a general education category S)||3|
|Chemical Concepts and Applications|
|General Chemistry I|
|Concepts of Biology|
|Required Discipline Courses for General Agriculture 1,2|
|Discipline One: Must include a minimum of 5 credits of 300-400 level||15|
|Discipline Two: Must include a minimum of 5 credits of 300-400 level||12|
|Discipline Three: Must include a minimum of 3 credits of 300-400 level||9|
|Additional Agriculture Electives: 18 credits required; at least 5 credits must be at 300-400 level 2||18|
The student and adviser will complete a General Agriculture Plan of Study with the courses to be used for the discipline groups and agriculture electives. This form will also require the signature of the department chairperson before being submitted to the Office of Registration and Records for verification of major program completion.
AGRI189 is only required for first-time, first-year students--A first-time, first-year student is defined as a student who has not yet completed a college course as a college student. Students that are not first-time, first-year students that either transfer into the university or change their major are not required to take AGRI 189.
Degree and Major Notes
- If a course is used to fulfill General Education or Major Requirements it cannot be used towards the disciplines. This includes; PLSC 315 Genetics, ECON 201 Principles of Microeconomics and STAT 330 Introductory Statistics.
- A General Agriculture Plan of Study must be completed with the student's assigned academic adviser prior to the completion of 75 credits. See department for this process. The Plan of Study, with signatures, must be filed with the Office of Registration and Records once complete.
- This major will not be available for view in the Student Advisement/Requirement Report in Campus Connection.
- The total number of credits for this degree program is 128.
Minor: General Agriculture
Required Credits: 24
|Required Courses *|
|Select six (6) credits minimum in any four (4) disciplines offered by the College of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources with the approval of the academic department.|
The student and adviser will complete a substitution form with the courses to be used for the discipline groups. This form will also require the signature of the department chairperson before being submitted to the Office of Registration and Records for verification of minor program completion.
Minor Requirements and Notes
- A minimum of 8 credits must be taken at NDSU.
- Students must earn a minimum 2.00 GPA for the minor requirements.
- This minor will not be available for view in the Student Advisement/Requirement Report in Campus Connection until the substitution form has been received and processed.