Changes in Registration

Registration deadlines for all courses are posted in the online Dates and Deadlines calendar. Deadlines for regular and variable length courses, as well as summer session courses, are adjusted proportionately. Students are always responsible for course registration activity and they are expected to review and monitor their schedule of classes and drop courses that they do not intend to complete by published dates and deadlines; this includes dropping individual courses or withdrawing from a semester. Questions related to registration should be directed to the Office of Registration and Records.

Adding & Dropping Individual Courses

Enrollment Add Deadline

Students may add courses to their schedules via Campus Connection until the published deadline in the Dates and Deadlines calendar.

Class Permits

All students are expected to have added their courses via Campus Connection one week from the start of the semester. After the deadline to add via Campus Connection, an authorized "Class Permit" for each course to be added must be acquired from the department offering the course and submitted to the Office of Registration and Records or One Stop. Class permits are accepted through the fourth week of a regular semester. Course additions will not be processed after the fourth week enrollment census, unless approved by the Graduate School Dean or the Registrar.

Dropping Courses

Students who register and determine they no longer wish to be enrolled in a class is responsible to drop the classes that they do not intend to complete. Student failure to drop courses by published deadlines will result in failing grades and debt owed the university based on the NDUS Financial Obligation Agreement (FOA) that the student accepts when registering for classes. Students drop classes via Campus Connection through the semester drop deadlines published in the online Dates and Deadlines calendar. Students wishing to drop all of their classes in a semester need to refer to the Withdrawing to Zero Credits section below.

  • No-record drops: Students may drop a course from their schedule without it appearing on their academic record until the published No Record Drop deadline for standard and variable length courses. Refer to the Dates and Deadlines calendar for both regular session and variable session no-record drop deadlines.
  • Record (W) drops: Students may continue to drop courses after the no-record drop period until the published With Record Drop deadline for standard and variable length courses. However, such drops are recorded on student transcripts with 'W'. Grades of W do not count as attempted credit for grade-point averages on the academic record, but are counted in attempted credits for financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Refer to the Dates and Deadlines calendar for both regular session and variable session with-record drop deadlines.

Administrative Drop

Administrative drops are used in courses with high demand that typically have significant wait list numbers. At no time should students rely on instructors or departments to administratively drop them from classes. Instructors or departments have the option to administratively drop students who have not attended the first week (and in some cases, the first meeting) of a high demand lecture or laboratory course, or students who do not meet all course pre-requisites or co-requisites. Administrative course drop requests made by instructors/departments are submitted to the Office of Registration and Records within the first week of a class meeting for processing. 

Withdrawing to Zero Credits in a semester

  • Cancellation of Registration (before classes start)

Students who register and then decide not to attend NDSU before the semester start date must cancel their registration by submitting a Cancellation of Registration/Withdraw to Zero Credits form. Forms must be submitted to NDSU One Stop. It is not possible for a student to cancel registration online using Campus Connection; students must submit the form. Cancellations are not accepted by telephone. Cancellations completed prior to the semester start date result in a full refund and no courses appear on the academic transcript.

  • Withdrawal to Zero Credits (after classes have started)

Students who have registered and then wish to drop all courses after the semester start date must officially withdraw from the university by submitting a Cancellation of Registration/Withdraw to Zero Credits form by the semester deadline published on the Dates and Deadlines calendar. It is not possible for a student to withdraw from all of their classes in a semester online using Campus Connection; students must submit the form. Failure to initiate the withdrawal process will result in the grades earned in the course appearing on the academic transcript and financial obligations owed to the university. Tuition refund information may be reviewed on the One Stop website.  Steps to withdraw from all courses include the following:

  1. Read and complete the Cancellation of Registration/Withdraw to Zero Credits form. Submit to NDSU One Stop.
  2. Students are responsible for any unpaid bills at the time of withdrawal.
  3. Withdrawal forms must be submitted by the published deadline of the semester. Withdrawals received after this date will not be processed. Students who have a documented compelling reason or circumstance which prevented them from submitting the Withdraw to Zero Credits form by the published deadline may appeal using the Missed Deadline Appeal (grades not yet posted to record) or the Retroactive Withdraw Appeal (see the section below).
  4. Students should not attempt to drop all of their courses, their last course, or their only course via Campus Connection.
  5. Unlike refunds for individual course drops, withdrawal refunds are prorated and are based on complete withdrawals from all courses, course lengths, and withdrawal dates.
  6. If a final grade for any course taken in the semester is posted to the NDSU transcript, students are not eligible to Withdraw to Zero Credits. Students may drop the remainder of courses in accordance with the published drop deadlines for the semester (see Adding/Dropping Individual Courses above). Students may view their unofficial transcript in Campus Connection.

Retroactive Withdrawals

Students seeking to withdraw after final grades have been posted to the academic transcript as a result of extenuating circumstances beyond their control, which is documented with dated evidence, may appeal for a retroactive withdrawal. Students must submit An Appeal for Retroactive Withdrawal prior to 3 years after the close of the term being requested. Retroactive withdrawals appeals must be considered for all courses taken in one or more semesters as a result of these extenuating circumstances; selective course drops are not allowed.  A student will complete the Appeal for Retroactive Withdrawal, which requires:

  • the student to acknowledge understanding a series of academic statements;
  • provide a detailed explanation that includes dates of the extenuating circumstance, which was beyond the control of the student that impacted the student's learning during the identified semester(s), and;
  • includes dated documented evidence of the circumstance which prevented the student from either disrupted learning during the semester or from withdrawing on or before the published deadline for the semester(s). 

Once the appeal material is gathered, the student will submit the Appeal for Retroactive Withdrawal and all supporting documentation to the Office of Registration and Records. Appeals are reviewed and final decisions are rendered in the college of the student's current academic major by either a designated individual or appointed committee. Decisions by the college are final.

Auditing & Wait Listing Courses

Auditing Courses

An auditor may attend classes only as a listener, without participation in regular class exercises. No credit is received for audited courses, and an  'AU' grade appears on the transcript. A student cannot fail an audit; however, an instructor may assign a 'WAU' (withdrawn) for non-attendance.

A student may drop a regularly registered course and add it as an audit course by submitting a Class Permit issued by the course instructor or the academic department. Once the audit registration is processed, the decision cannot be reversed.

Audit Process: An auditor is admitted to a class with a Class Permit issued by the course instructor or the academic department. The student will give the Class Permit to the Office of Registration and Records for enrollment processing on or before the semester deadline published in the Dates and Deadlines Calendar.

Audit Fee: The audit fee is one-half of the regular tuition rate, based on the student’s residency, and is included in the tuition cap.  No student fees will be assessed.

Wait Listed Classes

NDSU utilizes a wait list feature in Campus Connection for most classes. Students attempting to register for a class that has reached its enrollment capacity may add themselves to a wait list. Wait list processes run daily until the No Record Drop deadline for a class. Students should monitor their position on a wait list and will be automatically enrolled if a seat becomes available and no holds or course restrictions prevent enrollment. Students are notified via their official NDSU email if enrolled in a class via the wait list process. Students no longer wishing to be enrolled in a wait listed class must drop it from their study list using Campus Connection. Students wishing to enroll in a class that does not utilize the wait list process may contact the academic department offering the course for enrollment options.

Dual Career Registration

Students are permitted to register for classes according to their classification level with the university. However, there are instances when a graduate student may need to enroll in undergraduate courses as per-requisite preparation for a graduate program of study. In addition, on a limited basis, permission may be granted for an undergraduate student to take graduate level courses.

  1. Graduate students who need to enroll in undergraduate coursework must follow the procedure below that most closely matches their academic intent. Students will complete and submit the Dual Career Registration form for the following situations:
    • Undergraduate coursework is a prerequisite or condition of admission to a graduate program of study. Approval is granted by the Graduate School. The student will enroll for these courses on an undergraduate academic record and billing will be at the undergraduate rate.
    • A graduate student would like to take undergraduate coursework at the same time they are enrolled in graduate courses either as a non-degree seeking student or for an undergraduate program of study. For an undergraduate program of study, the student must submit either an Undergraduate Application for Admission (if never enrolled as an undergraduate at NDSU) to the Office of Admission or an Undergraduate Reactivation Form (if previously enrolled as an undergraduate at NDSU) to the Office of Registration and Records. The student will enroll in the undergraduate coursework on an undergraduate academic record and be billed at the undergraduate rate. Graduate tuition waivers will not cover undergraduate coursework. (Not for accelerated program. See #2 for approved accelerated programs)
    • On a limited basis and only with permission, undergraduate coursework may be applied to a graduate program of study (select programs only). Students must obtain approval from the Graduate School. The undergraduate coursework will appear on a graduate academic record and be billed at the graduate rate.
  2. Undergraduate students who wish to enroll in graduate coursework must make application to the Graduate School and be admitted to take graduate level courses.
    • Applies to undergraduate students who have been approved for an accelerated program of study. Students must make formal application to the Graduate School and be accepted into an approved graduate program of study concurrently with an approved undergraduate program of study. Students enroll in graduate level coursework on an graduate academic record and are billed at the graduate rate. No more than 15 credits of graduate level coursework can be applied to an undergraduate program of study. Specific coursework is to be identified on the Accelerated Declaration form submitted to the Graduate School with the Graduate School application. The credit for the graduate courses is applied as transfer credit onto the undergraduate record to satisfy predetermined undergraduate major program of study requirements.

Collaborative Registration

A collaborative student is one who chooses to enroll at more than one North Dakota University System (NDUS) institution for a particular term. The institution from which the student is earning a degree is considered the "home institution". The institution(s) that supplies courses for a degree is considered the "provider institution(s)". The following guidelines pertain to courses taken collaboratively:

  1. A student must be enrolled in at least one degree credit course at NDSU before enrolling in a collaborative course including the summer semester. Excluded from this requirement are students using the faculty/staff tuition waiver.
  2. Only fully admitted undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or higher) are allowed to enroll collaboratively.  Students requiring ASC 86 or ASC 87 are exempt from the academic standing requirement.
  3. The collaborative process allows NDSU to combine credits from more than one NDUS institution for the purpose of financial aid (for courses added through the seventh business day from the start of the term).
  4. Collaborative courses are not subject to the NDSU tuition cap.
  5. The student pays provider institution tuition/fees for collaborative course(s). This additional amount is included in the student's accounts receivable balance at NDSU.
  6. Not all scholarships will pay for collaborative tuition and fees assessed by the non-NDSU/provider campus.  Please check with the awarding organization to confirm.  NDSU-funded tuition discounts may not be applied to any collaborative charges.
  7. Students must be in good financial standing to be eligible for collaborative course registration.
  8. The student cannot exceed a total of 20 credits between NDSU and the provider institution(s) without special permission from the Registrar at home and provider campuses.
  9. The student must follow NDSU's academic dates and deadlines for adding/dropping collaborative courses.
  10. Drops/adds must be administered by submitting an updated collaborative registration form to the home institution. NDSU students may submit the form to the Office of Registration and Records, 110 Ceres Hall.
  11. Courses will be posted to the NDSU academic record as transfer credit once NDSU receives an official transcript from the provider institution. Note: Grades earned in collaborative courses may be used in determining financial aid satisfactory progress.
    1. Graduate students using collaborative credits to satisfy NDSU graduate program degree requirements must either a) list the collaborative credits as transfer credits on their plan of study form, or b) submit the Request for Change to Plan of Study form and indicate which degree requirements the collaborative credits are satisfying on their advisement report.
  12. Completion of the Collaborative Student Contract and Registration form does not guarantee registration into the requested course(s).  Registration is not considered completed until the student has received confirmation of enrollment from the provider institution.  However, if the request(s) cannot be processed, the student will be notified via their NDSU e-mail address.
  13. Collaborative registration is not an option for repeating courses previously taken at NDSU.  If students wish to take advantage of the repeated course opportunity to improve a grade, that course must be repeated at NDSU.
  14. Due to federal compliance, course repeats via collaborative registration will be prohibited to prevent significant federal financial aid impacts which could result in over-payment of federal financial aid funds.
  15. The option to wait-list is subject to the provider institution's discretion and does not guarantee enrollment into the requested course(s).

Summer Registration

The 12-week summer session is designed to provide instruction within various time intervals throughout the summer. Classes are offered in several sessions throughout the summer. While the time interval of the individual sessions is different than that of the standard semester (16 weeks), each course carries full credit because classes meet the same number of contact hours as in the standard fall or spring semesters. In addition, deadlines for summer session courses are adjusted proportionately. Students are responsible for making changes to their registration according to published summer Dates and Deadlines calendar.

Each college or department determines its summer offerings. The summer session course offerings schedule is available online.

Fees and Housing

Summer tuition and fees are available online. Information concerning summer housing may be secured by contacting the Department of Residence Life, Dept. 5310, P.O. Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58108, or 701-231-7557 (toll-free 1-800-572-8840).

Graduate Work

A considerable number of graduate courses are offered, but generally the summer serves as an important term for students to work on their research requirements, especially if field work is involved. Work on disquisitions and individual study arrangements frequently are facilitated during summers. Courses scheduled to begin at different times and for varying periods provide a high level of flexibility. Thus, those who may have only a portion of a given summer available are likely to find courses that meet their scheduling limitations. In addition, workshops, internships, and other special programs are offered. Teachers generally find the summer school designed to offer attractive selections as components of a degree program, as well as courses directed toward improvement of professional skills. Persons interested in graduate programs of study are encouraged to contact the Graduate School for further information.